Teresa

Just a couple quick pointers, from past experience.

1. Prerequisite : Confidence in the Onhand balance - I see you have Un-controlled WHs, so Im suspect.:)

BOM - near perfect - reflect reality. generates the 'build/buy ' plan.

CRP module, , Routings, WCs to capacity test the plan.

( EPDM will allow for alternate processes as well to offload)

(you could also browersize the CRP output files for online viewing, using integrator)

Assignment of Item planning parms - and assigned ownership.
Order policy, Days supply, min, mult, Safety stock. Lead times. etc

2. Does your company have a 'shared vision' and 'common understanding' Not to sound condesending, but Ive seen a lot of MRP projects fail due to the lack of a 'shared vision' 'strategy' and common understanding ' how, when, who, will we execute'.

I.E. - How will demand be managed ? Forecast or customer demand - Have you established , defined , and agreed to frozen zones.

(CMLT, CMFLT ) ?

How will the plan ( outside of the frozen zone) be approved ?

In my opinion, you should have a designated 'demand manager' working closely with the 'master scheduler'.

Have you determined the release horizon ?

How far out will you firm orders ? (frozen zone ?)

If you haven't yet , Id document the SOPS and have key personnel sign it.

5. MRP Output - The biggest issue I've seen is the output doesnt make sense to the user, buyer , planner....so they ignore .

Get to the root cause, : parms, or onhand, BOM, something isnt right if the output generated is wrong.

Do not generate the MRP paper reports - Qry the planned order file, PLNORD, for 'release' , 'expedite', 'cance, defer' etc

Sort and distribute - or better yet use OBPM - online subsets and views for MRP rec.

5. I'd be sure to model a complete cycle in the test env. to be sure you get the expected results.

Start small, and end with a complete SYSTEM test - full run, and see if the output makes sense.

You could ease into MRP one product line at a time....as well.

Sorry to have rambled on, maybe some of this will help to keep you on track and out of danger.

LAst thought - If you have some success with MRP , you might want to look at Advance Planner - more online planning.

Good Luck,

Jeff Snyder, CPIM
Guide Technologies, LLC

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:43:50 -0400> From: TBiby@xxxxxxx> To: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [MAPICS-L] MRP> > Hello Group,> > We are about to turn on the MRP module in Mapics. I was hoping you> experts could give some advice on what you would do differently if you> could start from scratch, any pointers on how to set up items, work> centers, buyers, planners, etc. > > > > We are currently at Release 6 but will be turning this on with a Release> 7 upgrade within the next 6 weeks (plan). Essentials w/EPDM-we are> using Mapics Browser-soon to be PowerLink.> > > > I realize this is a really broad question, any ideas are appreciated.> > > > About us:> > Our company (one company), one uncontrolled warehouse. We have 3> distinct departments for production and buying. GL is set up with the> departments as 1000, 2000 and 3000. We have less than 30 workcenters,> one buyer-one planner for each dept.> > We are about 50% make to stock and 50% engineer to order.> > > > > > Thanks in advance!> > Teresa> > > > tbiby@xxxxxxx> > Teresa Biby> > Virginia Panel Corporation> > _______________________________________________> This is the MAPICS ERP System Discussion (MAPICS-L) mailing list> To post a message email: MAPICS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/mapics-l> or email: MAPICS-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives> at http://archive.midrange.com/mapics-l.>