Raymond,

EAX certainly sounds like a neat tool, and I checked out their web page -
VERY impressive demos! You have an interesting decision to make with your
selection. However, I think I should correct a couple possible
misconceptions regarding COM_Net that were mentioned. Before I proceed, I
should mention that (probably no secret to many of you) FFT is a very
committed COM_Net user (we've had it since 1998), and it has been VERY
successful for us - in CY 2006 a little over 80% of our service orders came
in through COM_Net, and we have totally eliminated any dedicated data entry
associates for order entry. We use CSM and COM_Net (plus a custom order
entry program for our trailers that dumps through off-line load) for all
our order entry. We have a little over 300 customers (we are strictly
B2B), and we average over 600 logins per day, with up to 80+ dealers on
simultaneously. Performance is NOT an issue at all.

But I noticed a couple items I think should be addressed:

1) COM_Net does interface directly with shipment data to allow tracking of
orders. All that is required is for the tracking number to be loaded into
the shipment records. A hyperlink will automatically appear on the inquiry
screen that links straight to the shipping company's tracking site. This
is used extensively by our customers, and like Eric mentioned, we are
certain it has reduced our incoming inquiry calls, but we have no way of
knowing how many people DON'T call us. Tough to track that.

2) COM_Net can be enhanced, easily, within some limits. A little
knowledge of style sheets will allow you to customize some screens, and you
can do about whatever you want in the panels themselves. We offer a vast
amount of information to our dealers through COM_Net, such as historical
repair documentation, owners manuals, instruction sheets, product service
bulletins, marketing information (floor plans, ad brochures, etc), even
educational materials to help newer dealers work with older units. We
basically have put everything that dealers ask us for, that can be
distributed that way, on COM_Net for inquiry and download.

3) You can add additional applications to COM_Net. We wrote our own
using Seagull's JWalk solution (RPG with Java front ends), and are looking
hard at converting that to using one of the newer IBM Websphere tools (not
sure which yet - insufficient training budget). All we had to do was add a
button to the COM_Net main menu screen that called a Java applet that
created a telnet session to the AS/400 (please forgive me for still calling
the AS/400 by how we still refer to it as, not what the IBM marketing's
name of the week for it is) and logs the customer in. We have a separate
menu structure that offers extensive warranty registration and claim
processing, as well as marketing support functions. We also offer custom
reporting directly to the dealers through COM_Net - we send the data as CSV
files so they can work with them in Excel or other Office products - that's
worked very well for us. Using this solution has allowed us to continue
development in RPG and just sticking a Java front end onto the screens, and
has allowed us to be VERY creative in what we offer to the customer,
without a huge amount of effort.

In addition, you can acquire something called CDK (COM_Net Developer's
Toolkit), that will let you develop apps that pass through the COM_Net
gateway to MAPICS (or elsewhere) that look and feel exactly like COM_Net.
Again, I am under a tight budget, and have not been able to acquire that,
although I have tried several times.

4) COM_Net can be brought up on line VERY quickly, literally in a matter
of a couple hours, total. There is an installation setup available from
Lexel (at least, I think it's still available) that has them coming on site
and getting you running VERY quickly. From there, it's only tweaking for
appearance and whatever you want to add.

5) There are a variety of methods for getting orders into COM_Net.
Speed Entry: if you already know the part numbers and quantities you
want, you just rattle that in (with a line item comment available, VERY
nice!).
Scan for item# (or item# starts with) or item description (or item
description starts with) to get a list of parts to select from.
Advanced Catalog: neat method of ordering, with pictures and everything
- also contains "upsell" or "recommend this also" with it to increase
sales (if applicable). We don't use this, it's not how we work.
AlCarte and Pick-A-Part: This lets you create your own on-line catalogs
in whatever format you desire, with a hyperlink added to place the
order. VERY simple to do, we use this EXTENSIVELY. We have all our
parts books, with exploded drawings to show all the various orderable
components for all the parts and assemblies. The dealers just point and
click on the items they want, they get asked how many, and it goes in
their shopping cart.

I should add that one thing that has worked VERY well for us is how we
maintain COM_Net for "freshness", as well as how we get our parts catalogs
online. Pre-COM_Net, we had a person called a Technical Illustrator, who
was proficient in CAD and such and did all our printed manuals. Since he
was already using a PC, I just sent him to training classes on Macromedia
Flash, and Dreamweaver and Fireworks (just what we picked, there are a
gazillion and two other tools available). He now has the same job, but he
does it for the web now first, then exports it to print as required
(usually once a year!). No additional headcount, minimal training. Note:
COM_Net is updated continually through the year, but we only print the
parts books once a year.

But very few people use the printed books anymore, just the couple diehard
dealers that aren't quite sure this advanced technology (like fax machines,
cell phones, those new-fangled computer thingys, and this internet stuff)
are going to last. Nah, they're just like pet rocks, a fad that'll pass.
They'll stick with good, solid, reliable things that'll last, like the
telegraph and the Pony Express. (Sorry for the editorial comment.)

6) You can use the COM offline load user exits to do LOTS to the orders.
We do that here extensively. Automatic parts substitutions (yes, that is
also in COM_Net, but a lot of our dealers are too lazy to click on the
"Substitution" button when it appears), automatic comment generation,
automatic order confirmation, etc.

7) COM_Net has it's own offline load that can accept an input file with
item# and quantity and it will create an order. It can also export orders
to an outside system. Most of our customers don't want that, but it is
available if desired.

All that said, something I really like about EAX is that it supports the
vendor side the equation. Supply Chain extends to both sides of most
companies, customers AND vendors. If that's important, you get that
included with EAX, and that's a very attractive option.

COM_Net doesn't do that. It is strictly "COM for the Internet". With a
very large number of bells and whistle and gee-whiz-golly-wow! stuff
available. Some VERY nice stuff, like chat, tracking where the users go
and what they look at and how long and so forth. VERY nice.

OK, I've rambled on a lot, and no, I am not an employee of MAPICS/Infor or
Lexel Corporation. Nor am I compensated for what I say. But, I thought
you should get "the other side" also. Once you commit to an internet
strategy for your company, it can be VERY hard (and expensive) to change.

I would be pleased to help you with a demo of our decidedly enhanced
COM_Net (it also has all the canned COM_Net stuff you see in their demo,
and a whole lot more) if you would like. Just email me directly at
dgindles@xxxxxxxxxxx if you want more information.

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.