From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Kevin.Gerard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 12:35 PM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Cc: MAPICS ERP System Discussion; mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MAPICS-L] Version 7 Powerlink

Hi Lloyd

Their are a lot of variables that goes into this. note the 69 second
load
is one-time only. The last migration I went through, we had someone go
around and do the initial download before the users came in on Monday
(or
at least made them aware of it). It also helps that you don't have 30
people logging on for the first time at 8:00 a.m. (clogging the server
and
routers in your network!)

Second, I have found the delay in login is sometimes caused by the local

PC's having insufficient memory. The Java client is a hog. I like 1 GB
and in some cases 2 GB is ideal. You will notice a difference in login
and also operations!

Third, leverage the auxiliary server concept. It will help TREMENDOUSLY.

It's easy to manage/install. Infor has some recommendations. Go w/ a
true
server (not just a PC running the services).
I can talk to you a bit more off-line if you want to share my
experiences.

When you start to use Power Link more and Release 7, Dave Colvin at
Infor
is a great resource to show you how to identify bottlenecks (typically
w/
access paths' and other iSeries database issues). He has some cool
concepts using Operations Nav to identify the issues. He can show you
how
to identify your own issues.

But regarding your other performance issues, the things I mention above
can help. I can truly say after helping 8 or 10 customers go to Rel 7,
after things are up and running Rel 7 is typically faster.

Side note: Infor has some neat things coming out in Rel 7.8 to manage
the
install (silent installs for example) to help avoid the "69 second"
delay
for example..It is my understanding they are not too far out from having

this available. You'll also have a true ".exe" executable for the
install.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kevin

"Lloyd Degnon" <ldegnon@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/20/2007 12:19 PM
Please respond to MAPICS ERP System Discussion