From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bob Tenney
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:37 PM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: Re: [MAPICS-L] PPV using standard costing

The best way to handle PPV is to have IFM calculate it when it processes
supplier invoices - not when the goods are received. This avoids the problems
caused by the PO and Invoice price being different. ( I forget whether I32
should be "Y" or "N" - Old Age ). To do this set up your rules like this:

a.. RP or RQ transaction - Debit Inventory / Credit Received-Not-Invoiced at
standard cost.
b.. AP Invoice - Debit Invoice Clearing / Credit Accounts Payable. This can
be done automatically by making the Invoice Clearing Account each item's
inventory account in EPDM.
c.. CA transaction generated by IFM when it is interfacing to IM:
a.. Debit Received-Not-Invoiced at standard.
b.. Credit Invoice Clearing at the invoice amount
c.. Debit or credit PPV for the difference.
Here is an excerpt from my General Ledger Interfaces book that illustrates this:

Purchase price variance based on invoice cost
When you calculate purchase price variance based on invoice cost, the purchase
price variance is not recognized until you process the invoice. Here is an
example that illustrates how this works:

Assume the following:

Quantity ordered/received/invoiced = 100

Purchase order cost = 1.25
Standard cost = 1.00

Invoice cost = 1.50

When you process an RP transaction, IM values the receipt at the standard
cost. This results in the following ledger entries.

Debit
Credit

Inventory (RP charge amount 100 x 1.00)
100.00

Received not invoiced (RP offset amount 100 x 1.00)
100.00

When you process the invoice through AP and accept the 1.50 invoice
price, it results in the following ledger entries.

Debit
Credit

Invoice clearing account
150.00

Accounts Payable
150.00

Have the AP or IFM application, generate a cost adjustment transaction
back to IM that reflects the invoice amount. Set up your rules so it results in
the following ledger entries:

Debit
Credit

Invoice clearing account (as invoiced)