Marc,

I think the main advantage to go to R7  (or R6) is the use of
Powerlink(Browser),   we are currently in R6 and already found the
following benefits:

1.  Training:

     - In a couple of days, Users are fully trained, after that they can
create their own  Views, Subsets, Sorts and Workbenches, no need to show
them how to do a Query and of course
       no need to explain the 'weird' file names used in COM.
    -  Reduction of I.T. time to create/define queries
    -  Once a user is trained in an area like; Customer Service, it is
very easy to show them another area like Production, Engineering, etc.
    -  Users love the 'Export To Clipboard' and paste into Excel    ( I
think this is one of the best !!)

2.  Convert "Custom programs" or "Custom Applications"

    - We have many old applications developed with S/38 (with data back
from 1985).  As you know it is a nightmare trying to maintain these type
of programs,  so the answer was to use
      Integrator to define the  files as new objects,  all these with a
minimum programming time.

   - About  30 new objects defined with integrator for:
          - AR aging,  AR history   (instead of queries over OPENAR and
ARHSTS)
          - GL Transactions     (instead of queries over TEMGEN and
CURHIS)
          - Open AP   (instead of queries over OPNPAYxx)
         - New functions for Purchase Price Variance
          - RDs transactions waiting for RPs
          - New objects for Source of demand
          - Our own version of Customer Item Number maintenance program
          - Text objects to log customer calls
          - UPS web page integration to track shipments

3. User Exits
      - Usually a user exit  in "green screens" is developed to request
extra information and store it in a second physical file, you can do the
same using Object Extensions and the Browser user exits.

Additional nice features in green screens when moving to R6
-  IM history file  with the User ID and not just the Workstation ID.
-  Improved Backup process
-  Improved ACSAPPLY process
-  New Pick/Pack/Ship workbench
-  Shipping Offline
-  MRP batch processing

We are planning to move to R7 to get all the nice features of Powerlink
like email, workspaces, etc and the implementation of Workflow and
Advanced Planner.

Antonio Rojas
Information Systems Manager
Senior Aerospace, SSP
(818) 260-2218

Marc.Rohde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/18/2006 11:49 AM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[MAPICS-L] Real World Benefits to Mapics 7+ upgrade

After reading all the Infor information on the topic I could get my hands
on I though I would throw the question out to the real world.  If you have

upgraded to Mapics 7 or higher what are the real advantages that you have
experienced?  How was the upgrade "sold" to your management staff?

I guess the question could also apply to release 6 as well since we are
currently at 5.5 with AP/AR (no IFM) and PDM+ (not EPDM).

The biggest win on the infrastructure side for us will be to get back into

software/PTF support but we are looking for opportunities on the business
side as well since it will require commitment from all departments to test

and validate the deployment.

Your input is appreciated,
Marc Rohde
IT Manager
Pentair Filtration, Inc. & Everpure, LLC

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail message and all attachments to it are
intended only for the named recipients and may contain confidential
information. If you are not one of the intended recipients, please do not
duplicate or forward this e-mail message and immediately delete it from
your computer.