That's really the crux of the issue... There isn't a policy.

-J

-----Original Message-----
From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Wolf
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:17 PM
To: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MAPICS-L] Archive Hell

   Jim,

   I think it depends on many things (Company Policies, system capacity,
   system performance).

   Company policy at one of my customers requires that PO's should only
be
   open for a year.  I have been at some locations that have PO go out
over 3
   years.

   MO History may depend on the industry.  Aerospace may require that
the MO
   never get purged, for example.

   There are a few areas that I find many companies that keep many years
of
   AR, AP and GL history on disk.  Since this data can be restored
rather
   quickly (the files are very simple compared to COM), I try to get my
   customers to only keep what they need.  I understand that GL history
may
   need to be kept longer and that data is also very simple.

   Regarding performance, I have found that many places forget to move
the
   AM/AP data to history.  Since the option within the Bank
Reconciliation
   says "Purge Files", many companies think that they will lose the data
- it
   should state "Move to History".  Keeping the data in the Open AP
files
   increases the processing time when doing payment selection.

   There are also many files that companies never use (or forget that
they
   even exist) - VAT History (even if you do not charge Tax, this data
can
   accumulate). Plus any third party products or custom applications
that
   sometimes do not offer a method to purge...

   Eric