I got the following from Mapics.

Alan,

The MUI issues in V5R4 are being researched with help from IBM and the
original MUI developer.

Thanks,

Nick McKnight

678-319-8308

Symptom:Issues with V5R4
Symptom:APAR 80655 Red X appears when pressing F1, F4, or Home keys
Symptom:After upgrading to V5R4, getting Red X at the bottom of the
screen when pressing F1, F4, or Home keys
Symptom:MUI not working on V5R4
Symptom:XA Help, lookup and screen design functions are not working on
V5R4
Fact:XAR4
Fact:XAR5
Fact:XAR5.5
Fact:XAR6
Fact:XAR7
Fix:Issues that we have encountered with V5R4:
        1.  Problems in AP after upgrading to OS V5R4 (Per IBM apply
SI24104 ptf)
        2.  FRxAM Load is receiving error Column Code Not Found on V5R4
(DTS Package AMMAPICS1.0.180 corrects this problem)
        3.  F1, F4 (Help, Lookup) do not consistently work on Dumb
Terminals (issue currently being worked on)
        4.  User created extended Help (F1-F2) does not show up (issue
currently being worked on)
        5.  F1/F4 is not working on PCs (issue currently being worked
on)

        From "E:Info" - e:mail August 26, 2003

         MAPICS will be withdrawing MAPICS User Interface (MUI) defect
support effective March 1, 2004

         MAPICS will continue to provide telephone support on MUI
function.

         Defect support will be withdrawn due to the low number of
reported defects and stability of the offering.

        If it is something that can simply be corrected, we may pursue
this avenue.  We are currently working with the developer to track and
see
        what the issues are with F1/F4 and for possible solutions.

        Again, we are not guaranteeing that this will be corrected.