I really enjoyed the conference!

It's made me realize the promise of last year's conference is coming to
fruition!

The updates & plans in R7 and the revived development of APS have me
feeling good
about Infor's plans for MAPICS.  I want to put a plan in place for
upgrading us to
Essentials and then R7.  After all if I'm going to undertake such a
laborious
project I better believe in it for the sake of my employer & users!

As far as complaints, just my annual complaint:  Why can't the badge names
& company
names be large enough to read without interrupting a person while they are
talking!?!?!?
I encounter this every time I talk with people in a small group - I can't
see their badge!

I thought the Expo hall was great, the randomness about it was cool, I
didn't care what
product they were tailored for and here's why:  If a company has a
solution and it's
not for MAPICS - I talk to them anyway to learn about their approach
because it still
gives me ideas and it helps them learn about MAPICS, who knows they might
port it!

I found a PC based forms/archive software that works with the AS/400 and
has a PC price!!!

I even stopped at the COM both to learn about it, after all it was printed
on my badge!

I feel the same way about people, I met mostly Syteline folks and I
realized
we all have similar problems!!  It was interesting to learn their stories
and perspectives.

What I learned from commingling - discrete mfg's need to start thinking
and
acting like distributors.  That's not a slam, it's an opportunity.

I also attended a Supply Chain session that was very interesting, it was
not ERP specific and covered strategies that were focused on the customer.
I'm a big fan of idea based software as opposed to software that was
developed to solve an ERP specific problem and never quite got beyond
the garage developer mentality.  Don't get me wrong on this, I'm a
garage developer too!

I enjoyed the MAPICS and affiliate hosted sessions as well, primarily
because the content is better presented...usually. For example, if
you're gonna simply face the screen and read it to us - don't bother
I can do that on my own!  But I agree with Patrick that we need more
presentations from users.  Phil Joseph is great in his presentations,
but it needs to be more practical less academic. Integrator really
needs an outside cheerleader, and I realized this at one session
in particular that was hosted by a user - I was amazed at the number
of questions about Integrator as an application, I guess I failed
to realize just how many customers don't have it!

And then there was Huey Lewis, or more aptly: Grandpa Lewis!
I won't draw any allegories between Huey and XA.  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_Lewis
I did appreciate the entertainment, and to those around us who
couldn't hear the show because we were so loud - MOVE!   ;)

I also enjoyed the closing ceremony, thank goodness for the
comedian who made fun of the Infor execs!  I recall during
the opening ceremony thinking I was at the Oscars!
Fortunately I'd met some of the execs last time at Orlando,
and they are approachable and engaging.  Robin was too much,
the very fact that he had a hair brush was so over the top!

Although the Gumbel speech had much to be desired as it was
a big commercial for America - at an international event!
Yes, it had an Olympic flavor but the content was 100% taken
from his regular gig, did ESPN get a cut?

I was happy with the location, I enjoyed the walk from Luxor, but
the pockets of nicotine were killing me!
And the drive home was awful - 7 hours!
Vegas is a great location, but it raises eyebrows when you ask to attend!

Session Tips:

If the session title contains the word:

"Case Study" that means the presenter will drone on about
their company's idiosyncrasies!

"Trends" that means the presenter will bore you with
statistics obtained from google!

"Implementing" that means the presenter will show you his
project manager check list, but hasn't a clue how the actual
"work" was accomplished!

"Overview" that means the presenter will rhetorically ask the same
questions you had when you came in, but never really answer them.

/end of tips

And Infor - update your website - the conference is over!  ;)

God I love my job!