Al, Did you ever get an answer to your question?

  If not... Here is my 2 cents... and hopefully I won't confuse the issue...
  If you say "Y" to included posted journals, This refers to any records in
TEMGEN within the date range selected... So if you say "Y" then they get added
to your totals for whatever periods happen to be in TEMGEN.
  If you say "N" then it will only look at GELMAS and the periods that are
closed plus your balance forward totals.

  Hope this helps
  Pete

Al Gershen <aldg3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Environment: Mapics DB/Y2K (Mod 4); 13 Month
Accounting Cycle

Hi group:

Regarding the Prompt on the Preliminary G/L Input
Screen, AMG401, The Mapics Reference Manual, says in
part:

------

For 13-period accounting, this prompt appears:

INCLUDE JOURNALS FOR SELECTED PERIOD ONLY (Y/N)?

The following definitions apply....

If you answer N: All TEMGEN records for
periods/months prior to the selected period/month are
accumulated and added to the balance forward field and
print out as the [Opening] Account Balance. Then all
TEMGEN records with a posting period/month falling
within the selected range are printed.

If you answer Y: The [Opening] Account Balance only
includes the balance-brought-foward amount. Only
TEMGEN records with a posting period or month falling
within the selected range range are printed.

------

(Note: I added the word, "Opening" to clarify the
meaning of the two paragraphs.)

It seems to me that the "balance forward field" is the
ending balances (YTD Debits and Credits) from the last
month or period that is Closed.

As an example, we ran our Period 12, November 2005
Preliminary G/L last week (Period 11, October 2005 was
closed at the end of November 2005) answering the
prompt both ways (Y and N) and the opening balances on
the reports were different.

This doesn't make any sense to me as the prior Period
11 was closed well before these Preliminary G/Ls were
run.

Your comments on this subject would be appreciated.

Regards,
Al Gershen
Cost Accountant Lead
ECS Composites