Michael
You can do shipping outside MAPICS using Offline Shipping (provided you are
on a release level that supports it).
I have implemented it successfully in two different companies over the past 4
years or so.
Regards
Robert Cull
Independent (hands on) Supply Chain Systems (incl MAPICS) Consultant based in
the UK