  Teresa,

  At one of my customers, it is critical to have the Serial number in the
  system since warranty handling is determine by the Serial Number and the
  date the original order was shipped.  Since Infor/XA (formerly MAPICS)
  (:), does not keep track of Inventory at the Serial Number Level, I had to
  write an enhancement that would for this customer.

In a nutshell, when the user selects to print Box labels for the Serial
Numbers, information is stored on the system that will keep track of its'
status (it will eventually get linked to do this at MO/PO time). For
example, there are/will be codes to tell when it is in WIP, On Order
(MO/PO), In Stock, Picked, Packed and Invoiced.

  We have integrated this database for Picking (and Packing) so that when
  the Pick list is scanned, then the Item is scanned, the user scans the box
  for the Serial Number being "allocated" to the Pick List.  No other user
  can they scan that box

  The main problem that we have at this customer is that I see "Serialized
  Inventory" as one level deeper that Batch/Lot Control and I cannot get the
  customer to see it this way.  So, obviously, the qty of Serial Numbers in
  the system does not match the Item Balance On Hand (which it should).

  If you have anymore questions on this, you can contact me offline (and I
  have not forgotten about sending you some code).

  Eric A. Wolf

  Independent Infor/XA Consultant

  818.486.5678