I would recommend reviewing the job posting and revising it to be more
AS/400 and Mapics centric to try to "weed-out" the PC people.

In my recent experience I have found it difficult for find Mapics
resources in the Chicago/Milwaukee/Green Bay market but have found some
good AS/400 people.  I think that hiring a strong AS/400 person (either
programmer or operator depending on your environment) will make it easier
to find appropriate training for the other skills.

Furthermore, it is likely that the AS/400 is their most critical business
system...do you really want an inexperienced person managing that system?
It would probably take an AS/400 person less time to become proficient at
the PC/Network support than a network person to become proficient on the
AS/400--speaking as a seasoned network person and not so seasoned AS/400
person.

Marc Rohde
IT Manager
Pentair Filtration, Inc. & Everpure, LLC

Pete Olshavsky <polshavsky@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05/27/2005 07:47 AM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
education

Morning group.
This is a bit off the norm... One of my Customers is looking to hire a new
employee to replace a person that is retiring.
The issue is, almost all of the applications they are getting are from PC
people... No AS400, RPG, or Mapics....
So right now it looks like we will need to have that person trained... Who
out there besides IBM does this kind of education? Or is IBM still the
best?
Any past experience & recommendations would help. And any websites for
more detail would also be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Pete Olshavsky
Independent Mapics Programmer.