Plain ole' windows ftp works too.

Kevin Fox
'kdfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Bale [mailto:dbale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 6:59 AM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: RE: Loading RPG

I'm going to assume an LCD here, so forgive me if some of this sounds
condescending.

First things first, do you have the RPG compiler?  Try prompting on the
commands CRTBNDRPG or CRTRPGPGM to determine this.  Without this, you are
SOL.

You need to have a source (as opposed to "data") file on the AS/400 to store
the RPG source code.  So you would use the CRTSRCPF command.  Prompt it.  In
general, I name all of my source files QSRC.  Some still name the file based
on the source type: QRPGSRC for RPG-III source, QRPGLESRC for RPG-IV source,
QCLSRC for CL source, etc.  If my source file will contain RPG-IV source, I
specify a record length of 112 on the CRTSRCPF command, otherwise I use the
default 92.  Do you know if the source code is RPG-IV?  If not, post some of
the code, and I can help with that.

Your wording implies that the RPG source code is not on the 400.  Probably
the easiest way to upload it would be to FTP the PC(?) file to an AS/400
source file.  I've found that FileZilla (of Mozilla open source fame) is an
EXCELLENT FTP client and "understands" AS/400 protocol.  If you've got
Client/iSeries Access, you can probably use the File Transfer program to
upload it as well.  Let me know if you need more help with this part.
Others may have good/better ideas on this.

Assuming the source code is now in a source member in a source file on the
AS/400.  Make sure you name the source member the same as the program object
name you want to call.  Also, it is helpful, but not necessary, to specify
the correct source type attribute, either RPG or RPGLE, on the member, as
well as provide a description of the program in the 50-character TEXT
attribute.  You can use ADDPFM or CHGPFM to effect both of these attributes.

Do you have PDM (Programming Development Manager)?  Try prompting the
WRKMBRPDM command to find out.  If so, you can use PDM to do all of these
changes (renaming the source member, and changing the source type and text
attributes).  In addition, compiling is easier, using option 14 on the
source member.  Otherwise, to compile, you need to prompt either the
CRTBNDRPG or CRTRPGPGM commands, depending on the source type (RPGLE or RPG,
respectively), and fill in the parameters.

Let us know if that fills in the blanks sufficiently for you to finish with
it.

db