Candy,

Back in my days as a staff programmer in a large corporate environment, we had
a similar situation with our own internal auditors.  Basically, our internal
auditors had issue with programmers having access to the production
environments mostly because their (the auditors) fear was undetectable
corruption of data with testing.  We supported 15 divisions on seperate
machines from our corporate offices basically, we implemented the following
procedure.

   Only one designated person on the staff was given a user profile to assign
security.
   The security administrator set up a user profile that would allow a
programmer access to the production environments.  The security administrator
would "own" the password to this user profile.
   When a programmer or analyst needed access to the production environments,
we would have to complete a form.  The security administrator would then set
the password for the production profile and allow the programmer or analyst
access.
   When the programmer or analyst was finished doing what needed to be done in
the production environment.  He / she would notify the security administrator.
The security administrator would then disable the password on the user profile.

This process satisfied our auditors.  After we implemented this process, we did
not get any comments on the division's EDP audits.

As far as doing accurate development work, we would have to have a test
environment established for each division.  These environments would be
refreshed at a minimum of one a month.  The company I am referring to was a
Fortune 500 company.  So please keep in mind the magnatude of the machine.

Just some food for thought.

Candy.Hein@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
My boss asked me to pose this question on the MAPICS user group list. We
are a small shop with 2 full-time programmers and 2 part-time contractors.
The full time programmers are responsible for setting up MAPICS security for
users. Part of the audit comments during our Sarbanes-Oxley audit was to
eliminate all programmers access to the production environment including
security (of course they have no suggestion on who would set up security).
We would like to know how other small shops handle this situation. Do your
programmers have access to the production environment? Who is responsible
for establishing MAPICS security on your system?

Thank you,

Candy Hein

Sincerely,

Richard T. Molder
President
Moldrich Solutions

Have a nice day unless you have made other plans.