See bullet #3 for "What is HMC?"
Here are some of the highlights of the May 2004 announcement from IBM:

  a.. IBM introduced new Upgrade on Demand options that include upgrading
additional memory dynamically. This is performed through immediate
activation, no system restarts or database reconfiguration required. In
addition, IBM now offers Reserve Capacity Upgrade on Demand which allows
customers to automatically enable reserve capacity if processor utilization
reaches 100%.
  a.. The new i5 iSeries Models 520 and 570 feature highly scalable growth
options and now are priced with the Express, Value, Standard, and Enterprise
packages.
  a.. Major enhancements with Dynamic Logical Partitioning with i5OS V5R3
that improves fault tolerance and lower partition maintenance costs. In
addition, IBM introduced Hardware Maintenance Console (HMC) that eliminates
the need for a dedicated partition for administration.
  a.. The IBM Director is a new management tool that was introduced that
complements iSeries Navigator. This tool helps monitor multiple operating
environments such as Linux, and AIX 5L.
  a.. IBM introduced the first implementation of the IBM Virtualization
Engine that drives new levels of productivity from a server infrastructure.
This engine allows customers to reduce costs and increase asset utilization
through virtualization

To view a PowerPoint on the release announcement, follow this link:
http://www.datanat.com/IBM_iSeries_Solutions/IBM_Hardware/IBM_Announcements/632,3,IBM
eServer i5 Announcement