From: Dan Bale [mailto:dbale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 7:57 AM
To: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Any issues journaling Mapics DB (Mod 4-y2k) files?

Would like to investigate the possibility of journaling some Mapics files
for the sole purpose of using RTVJRNE to add records to permanent archives,
which are duplicates of files like MTHACTX & ARTRAN, which are cleared on a
monthly & daily basis, respectively.

The emphasis is to:

* Avoid modifying Mapics applications
* Avoid potential operator error (currently, operator
    runs a custom command every day to copy the data
    from ARTRAN before it gets cleared).  The possible
    errors are 1) the command doesn't get run at all,
    or 2) the operator(s) inadvertantly run it more
    than once per day.
* Avoid *ANY* potential conflict with Mapics processes
    that occur at day-end, month-end, or year-end.

This is for Mapics DB (Mod 4-y2k).  I see that there is no journaling taking
place on our production files.  No constraints or triggers, either.

Is anyone journaling Mapics DB files?  Any gotchas or watch-out-for's?

tia,
db