Hello Selvaraj.

What you've described is an interesting scenario, and let me describe how
we addressed it.

First let me say it is difficult to use non-web-enabled-software to guide
vendors in meeting
requirements enforced by the customer (the MAPICS shop).  And the
difficulty is compounded
when your vendors do not use the internet either.  We have many vendors
that don't even
have email, so it is a challenge to communicate with them in an automated
fashion.

So, how indeed do we establish a 'checklist' for them to follow?  In the
most natural format - the PO!

We modified MAPICS to include what we call 'Standard Item Notes'.  This
are notes that are
automatically added to a PO when it is printed.  They consist of item
based requirements, such as
including documentation, hardness testing, packaging, bar coding, etc.

In short, the very document a vendor receives conveys the checklist
needing review prior to shipping!

These notes are Item number driven, but could easily be expanded to
include class, or some other
characteristic.

If you wanted to take it to the next level and be able to track/rate the
vendor performance on these
items (requirements), assign misc item codes (item numbers) to specific
activities you expect the vendor
to follow or include prior to shipment.  When these items are received,
you will automatically be including
them in the MAPICS vendor analysis program that is part of purchasing. The
item codes example
I mentioned is very common, many use them for purchasing office supplies,
expedite charges, etc.
For example, assign an item for certs, another for hardness testing, and
another for bar coding.
We use 9XXXX item numbers for misc. items.

Of course you may find the MAPICS program lacking, but at least you'll
have a populated database
over which you could apply any reporting tool such as query, crystal, etc.
 Not to mention 3rd party
MAPICS centric software.

I hope I understood correctly the second half of your message correctly in
terms of enforcing requirements
at the vendor level, as opposed to making it an in-house activity.

Regards....james

Selvaraj Pillai <selvaraj.pillai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/25/2004 08:33 PM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Vendor Performance

Hi Group,

I am keen to understand whether MAPICS modules or any third party
solutions provide to track vendor quality performance analysis. Basically,

from my understanding the standard MAPICS can provide vendor performance
analysis based on Quantity, Leadtime, Pricing etc. My intention is to
provide a list of quality control norms to the vendor based on each
product family and then to track down the vendor performance before the
materials are shipped to us. Basically, the vendor has to fulfill the
quality checks parameters before the items are shipped. Is there any one
in the group has done this, please advise.

Regards, Selva