From: Al Gershen [mailto:aldg3@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 11:04 AM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Cc: Al Gershen
Subject: RE: Changing MO Routing Status Codes

Hi Kevin and Dennis:

Thank you very much for your comments.

The MO's were created incorrectly in our production
department (that is, the "C" code was left out of the
Outside Processing routing).

I'll start monitoring (using Query) new MOs and see
that they are corrected before activity is posted to
them.

Regards,
Al Gershen
Cost Accounting Tech
ECS Composites
aldg3@xxxxxxxxx

Kevin Fox <kdfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Wed, 7 Jul
2004 10:11:52 -0700:

> Status 10 MO's are MO's that contain no activity BUT
are assigned a cost at time of order release. Changing
the operation code to "C" on the order will facilitate
proper routing but, I do not believe, would have any
impact on the anticipated cost of the order.

> Status 40 MO's are MO's that have had some (material
and/or labor) activity. Once an MO has activity posted
against it, you can't change the anticipated cost of
the order. Changing an operation time basis code to
"C" AFTER activity has been posted will never change
the anticipated cost, thus MAPICS will ignore it.

> Status 45 MO's are MO's that have had material
"completed". This means that some one has ensured that
all material issues, scrap and receipts to stock
(including returns to stock) have been recorded
correctly. Again, changing a time basis code on an
order at this stage will not change the anticipated
cost AND since the order is "completed" changing the
time basis code at this point will have no effective
impact on operations.

> Thus changing a time basis code with DFU has no
impact.

> If an order is status 40 and the desire is to
facilitate ease of operations (purchasing, shop floor,
accounts payable, etc.)the best course of action
would be to add a new operation to the order with the
correct time basis code immediately following the
incorrect operation. Change the status of the
incorrect operation to inactive or "completed" if some
labor has been reported against it.

> If this is a constant problem in your environment,
it would be advisable to review routings for
manufactured items prior to MO release. Also, change
your engineering procedures to ensure the correct
code.

> Kevin Fox
> kdfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Denroxi@xxxxxxx wrote on 2004/07/07 Wed AM 05:45:46
PDT

> All my experience is that the logic in that field is
once the operation has had either quantity or labor
reporting, maintenance of certain fields is very
limited is to that operation step and associated
fields.

> You can change the Routing master for all future
releases. You can change the MO master for and Order
or Operation status to, but after that you are very
limited.

> Also in the routing, are you using queue times, move
days, or etc to indicate how long the vendor will have
the operation?