From: DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 10:33 AM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: Re: Client Architecture - Browser?

Shawn,

You will probably get a ton of responses to that question.  We are on
R6,
in the process of upgrading to R7.  We have been using the Browser since
EPDM came out (a long time ago - can't remember the year anymore), and
there are many productivity enhancements in the Browser.  My Engineering
department in particular would kill me if I took Browser away from them.
Customer Service is split about 50/50 between loving Browser and those
who
will give up their green screens when you pry their cold, dead fingers
from
the keyboards.  Interestingly enough, the older associates in Customer
Service who spend the most time on the phone with the customers are the
ones who like the Browser the most - quicker access to the information.

There is a definite training curve on learning how to use the Browser
correctly.  However, keep in mind that there will be a MAJOR cost
incurred
in converting to a different system.  The data doesn't magically appear
in
the new system.  And training and such for new software can be (and
usually
is) VERY significant.

There is a company in our area that dumped MAPICS for a "new PC-based
ERP
solution" that was "new, state-of-the-art" using "new technologies, not
the
old AS/400 proprietary systems" and all that other marketing babble.  It
took them 2 years, and when they were done, their response was why in
h**l
did we do this?  Of course, they couldn't go back after spending all
that
time and money to convert away, not to mention the "pride" factor.  So
now
they have a system with less functionality, that costs more to support
and
isn't as stable.  But it is on PCs!

The moral of this story is: "Think it through before you change.  The
grass
isn't always greener, no matter what the marketing people say.".
Conversions are VERY expensive....

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
258 Beacon Street
Somerset, PA  15501

             "Shawn Thobe"

             <ShawnT@fortrecov

             eryindustries.com
             >                         "MAPICS ERP System Discussion"

             Sent by:                  <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

             mapics-l-bounces@
cc
             midrange.com

Subject
                                       Client Architecture - Browser?

             06/22/2004 09:39

             AM

             Please respond to

             MAPICS ERP System

                Discussion

             <mapics-l@midrang

                  e.com>

We are currently running R6 and have decided to review other ERP
packages since MAPICS doesn't handle some of the situations/configs we
have.  We created a Pluses and Minuses list for MAPICS and have recently
gone over this with our MAPICS consultants.  In the meeting is seemed
that the response to our issues was that the new "client architecture"
will address this.  I'm assuming this is the "browser" version.

Is anybody running this?

What sort of issues have you seen?

Would you recommend this?

Thanks for any feedback.