   Controlled  .vs.  Uncontrolled

   As you state Chuck,  controlled WHs  give you:

   1. visibility - where are the parts -  of course this can depend on the
   size of the facility, etc as far as advantage.

   2. Assist pickers - more directive pick list - by location, etc

   3. Assist cycle counters - count an area, in lieu of a part number.

   4, other advantages - allows for 'inspection area - with a balance. B/L
   control. discrete allocation to a location.

   Major strategic issues to consider when moving to a controlled WH:

   1.  Will you have random locations for a part, or pre defined.  This is a
   big one, determines how you will process and whether you will be able to
   use 'def stk location'  to support transactions or have to key the
   location.

   2. How many locations :  WH racks, bins.  Floor locations.

   3.  Do you require inspection upon receipt. ?   B/L control,  cyclic
   inspections ?

   4. How will you issue to the floor - MO :  discrete, Backflush ?   What's
   the volume ?

   will you bar code the Bins, part numbers and use RF,  or use a bar coded
   document ?(shop packet )   Bar coding of Bins and part numbers is 'on you
   ' Mapics does not have the  function, and a bar - coded pick list can be
   quite lengthly ?

   You can Back flush controlled floor stock items from ST01, mapics's WIP
   area using IM and the 'RM' transaction,

    or using paperless - back flush from the operation where used, and define
   a 'mini market' associated with the facility !  quite attractive!  But
   you'll have to 'TW' the parts from the WH to the floor.

   Shipping :   How will you pick all those parts from the WH bins ?  MApics
   offeres 'discrete allocated' pick list - very useful .  Timing  of the
   pick list is critical !  Parts have to be there !

   you could use the 'staging area' and confim the pick to move all parts
   from th WH to the ship out area in one key stroke !

   I'd map out you material flow logistics,  then decide how best to record
   the even 'when it occurs' !  have the system reflect reality .

   I dashed this off, pretty quickly on my way out the door.... sorry for
   type- o s etc.

   if you would like further support, help in this area, fill free to contact
   me directly, ive been through a number of these and it does affect PUR, IM
   and COM.

   Hope this helped, and Good Luck

   Jeffrey G Snyder,   CPIM

   Mapics Consultand