   That looks like a commercial message to me... but, no matter...

   I know that MAPICS has gone through a couple iterations on the BI front.
   The original BI partner was Sylvon. Then, the private labeled MAPICS
   Analytics used the Vanguard software under the covers. Recently, MAPICS
   has changed over to Cognos - probably because Symix/Front Step had a
   relationship with Cognos and MAPICS wanted to reduce the number of vendors
   they had to deal with.

   The MAPICS Analytics / Vanguard solution is unique in that it does not
   require a data warehouse. This is a good thing for two reasons - the users
   don't have to deal with building and maintaining the warehouse, and the
   data used in the reports and displays is pulled directly from the MAPICS
   files so it's up-to-date. This is a "low maintenance" solution that is
   especially attractive to those of you that don't have a big (or any) IT
   staff.

   Cognos is a premiere product that uses the traditional data warehouse
   approach. It's a great product, but I have to wonder if it's so much
   better than Vanguard that it justifies the extra maintenance and
   management effort and the higher price.

   As to the benefits of an ASP (hosted) approach, that's one way to minimize
   the impact on local support requirements but I think many companies are
   reluctant to give up control of this precious business data. Also, with a
   hosted solution the user must pay for the storage and processing every
   month. Up-front costs might be less but lifecycle costs are higher.

   I know the folks at Vanguard and I have talked to some of their customers
   who are very happy with their BI solution. I know that Vanguard will
   continue to support MAPICS users and would be happy to deal directly with
   current MAPICS users who would like to go that route rather than buy the
   current MAPICS / Cognos offering. It appears that Prospira is also
   interested in getting business from the current MAPICS installed base with
   yet another alternative approach. MAPICS users now have three distinct
   choices - the MAPICS/Cognos traditional DW approach, the Vanguard
   direct-connect approach, the Prospira hosted solution.

   Having choices is a good thing.

   BI is very important, especially in today's highly competitive and highly
   regulated world. Whichever route you take, I encourage you to seriously
   consider BI as a great way to leverage your MAPICS investment and get more
   out of all that data that you are accumulating every day.

   Dave Turbide
   dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   >message: 2
   >date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:38:15 -0500
   >from: "Devon Watson / Prospina Solutions" <dwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
   >subject: Feedback regarding Business Intelligence
   >
   >Dear MAPICS-L Readers,
   >

   >My firm has recently released a Managed Business Intelligence Solution
   >that is geared toward mid-market clients, many of whom run MAPICS. The
   >solution complements existing enterprise systems and provides a platform
   >for reporting, analysis and information delivery. What makes us unique
   >is that we provide the hardware, software and expertise as a service.
   >

   >In an effort to create the best solution possible we would be grateful
   >for any feedback you could provide as to how you feel about our
   >approach, what you think of our solution and specific uses you might see
   >in your industry.
   >

   >Please visit www.prospina.com for more on our solution and post any
   >feedback, questions, comments, praise, flames or otherwise to
   >info@xxxxxxxxxxxx so as not to clog up this discussion list.
   >

   >Best Regards,
   >
   >Devon Watson
   >
   >COO, Prospina Solutions
   >

   >[This msg was pre-approved by the list moderator]

   Dave Turbide, CFPIM, CMfgE, CIRM
   Market Analysis and Communication
   883 Ocean Blvd
   Hampton, NH 03842