From: Greg Novak, Momentum [mailto:gnovak@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 12:21 PM
To: 'MAPICS ERP System Discussion'
Subject: RE: Question Re: Browser response time.

The question in any processor upgrade is what resource is the most
constrained?  If you are consistently running above 70% processor
utilization, then a processor upgrade should help.  If your disk utilization
is over 70-80 percent, adding disk may help.  If your disk is thrashing -
lots of paging and faults (WRKSYSSTS), then get expert advice.

What constitutes a lot of thrashing?  Maybe someone else here can help, I
have seen some relative numbers but they are just guidelines (as are the
percentages above).  Additionally, you may be able to just realign the
memory pool sizes and see some benefits there too - check the setting for
performance adjustment - system value QPFRADJ.

Throwing more processor at a problem does not solve anything if your biggest
constraint is a different resource - disk, memory, etc.

Regards,
-Greg

Gregory Novak
Manager North American Technical Services
Momentum Utilities Pty Ltd
(630) 985-1736
gnovak@xxxxxxxxxx
www.jacana.com

Making Information Work for your Business
www.intuator.com