Paola,

You are imagining a world that does not exist anymore. MAPICS does not
test their fixes anymore and they are indifferent to resolving any sort
of issue. Reported bad fixes go unresolved on the catch 22 that you have
to be at the latest level to talk to them about the problem. Once they
find you are not at the latest level they don't do the most basic
investigation. So we have pretty much stopped reporting issues and
stopped applying fixes other than ones we absolutely need to continue.
We don't have the time to play games with them with no favorable result.
If they offered a lower license fee for not using support or not taking
future releases we would leap at the opportunity.

Unfortunately for the user group this lets MAPICS knowledgebase
gradually deteriorate. I would rather see us have a spot to identify and
solve issues and warm users about bad fixes before they crash. Since by
default users are concerned and loyal to their own companies I have no
doubt that the quality of the information would be much higher than that
provided by MAPICS where they are concerned about profitability and
gaining market share with their newer products. I do not disagree with
MAPICS decision to spend as little cash on XA as they can get away with,
they walk a very fine line in encouraging users to gradually defect to
newer products but have the benefit of a highly customized user base and
the intense lockin that legacy ERP systems create.

As an example, from the current e-info...

AMPDH in Payroll has another fix. This is a small program that does the
options for payroll checks and reports, only 434 statements with plenty
of comments. How much trouble could they get into??? BTW We don't use
MAPICS payroll.

SH55877  ptf 173
Then the fun begins...
SH61996  ptf 3692
SH62420  ptf 4082
SH63058  ptf 4267
SH63379  ptf 4405
SH63979  ptf 4674
SH64049  ptf 4756

>From looking at the code I still don't think it is correct but I would
have to run quite a few scenarios to test it with IFM or GL and without.
In the good old days this code churn would get someone terminated,
reassigned, etc.

Back to the website thing. I sort of envisioned when I brought the topic
up that it would be a good area to do some open source type development
on areas that are crucial to most MAPICS customers but have never been
seen as a priority to MAPICS because they might have a 3rd party product
marketing opportunity. Two examples would be a mini-ISL and web COM
orders without COM-web. There is no need for $60,000 packages with
continuing support fees when the requirement can be handled in house
with a purpose specific mini-application.

Enough whining for one day, back to real work!

Konrad