An outside operation within a part routing that requires additional
 work after the outside operation I handle this way.

       1.       The outside operation is a step in the finished part routing
       2.         The workcenter for the routing is a vendor designated work
center.
       3.         I give the vendor work center a queue time which includes
time
                 to get the PO cut and deliver to the vendor.. + .. the
vendor
                 lead-time to perform the operation.. + .. the return transit
time.. +
                 .. any incoming time to the next operation.
       4.         Someone in receiving has to go to the work order and call
that
                 outside operation complete for the quantity returned from
the
                 vendor or the next operation will not know the material is
                 to work.

For a one step outside operation I follow the same procedure. The additional
of having to pick the part for outside work to be received back complete for
stocking has to be done and then do the above.

Item type is not a concern in steps 1 thru 4.

If a pick is done for a 1 step outside operation, the part # to be received
back into stock should be a 2.

Dennis Guy Vaillant