Hello

I think the belief that the MAPICS XA solution is either good or not-so-good
depends on the nature of the business over which MAPICS XA is being
implemented (upgraded), the role of the assessor (Support or User), and the
perspective taken of MAPICS, either relative to other ERP solutions, or in
absolute terms from the person trying to work with it/ support it.

I haven't worked with other ERP solutions - but I've heard enough horror
stories to know they have their problems - just like MAPICS XA. I believe
that relatively, most ERP solutions are hard work to support. I think from
the absolute perspective that most Support people would agree that their job
is very frustrating - particularly when dealing with non-IT Users &
Directors who just do not comprehend the effort that goes into the IT
Support role.

In terms of whether to implement MAPICS XA or another (custom) package I
think the general advice is that you need good, on-site IT Support at the
implementation phase regardless of the solution chosen.

>From the reasons above I, probably like most people in this group, am
sometimes bewildered by the comments people make regarding the suitability
of the functionality of MAPICS to their business. I even wonder at times if
my Company is actually using the same MAPICS XA  as this group!

>From my own experience I have seen my Company 'sail close to the wind' with
some of the software issues that have arisen in MAPICS XA. It is my belief
that these issues should not have happened and are unacceptable
(preventable?). However, we're still in business! Regarding the Internet
Help Site I have very rarely found the answer to some of the more 'burning
issue' type questions

I assume that most people in this group are IT Support and judge MAPICS XA
from that perspective - what about actual users, i.e Warehouse Managers,
Production Planners, Customer Services, etc?

On a final note, just how many new companies does MAPICS sell to, as opposed
to supplying enhancements to the existing customer base, and where is MAPICS
in the sales league of Mid-Range ERP Suppliers?

Cheers

Paul