Lisa,

I have done this type of thing several times.  I have some suggestions
that may be helpful.

1)  Consider whether you want the pictures attached to the Item Revision
or the Enterprise Item.   Clearly, if the item photograph looks the same
irrespective of revision, then it may be easier to attach the picture at
the enterprise level.  That way, as revisions occur (if you use them) or
asthe item is used in multiple sites, you won't have to duplicate the
attachment records too.  Linking the attachment to the new revision could
undoubtedly happen with a user exit (Integrator required), but if you can
simplify to the Enterprise Item level, could be alot easier.  If not, then
process will have to accomodate that degree of sophistication.  I think
I'd look at an Integrator Action on the Item Revision that allowed a
button to automatically open the attachment that is the picture for this
item.

2)  As for where to store them, a key consideration is to place the
attachments in a server that is universally available.  Security is
controlled by the network where the file is stored.  My experience says
that the best place to store this type of data is on the AS/400 IFS.  The
concept of "universally available" for the IFS extends to every user that
has access to MAPICS.  In other words, if the user has access to MAPICS,
then he can easily be granted (and equally easily prevented) access to the
IFS that would contain the attachments.   Attachments use the UNC
(universal naming convention) style of path to the media files, so you
won't have to worry about drive letters, aliases for paths, etc.  That was
not always true, but it is true at my level of the Browser appls (Level 32
of XAR6).  Of course, the cost of disk can be a consideration, since this
application could be a disk hog.

3)  Another suggestion is to think about a structure for your media files.
 Think into the future about whatever other applications you might have
for this VERY powerful function.  Naming convention and the directory
structure will be important to manage versions/revisions of the
attachments, if you have them.  Examples might include engineering
drawings, scanned images of A/P invoices, scanned images of receivables
checks, CNC programs attached to routing operations.

Just some thoughts to help you get started.

Michael G. Ellis
Information Systems International, Inc.
A Global ERP Consulting Firm
815-398-1670 x23

Choose ISI consultants to ensure consistently top quality implementation
services at all levels of your organization.

"To enjoy the things we ought and to hate the things we ought has the
greatest bearing on excellence of character. "
Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics

message: 1
date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:01:14 -0500
from: lisa.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Attachments

We are interested in attaching item pictures to our item revisions in
Browser.

Anyone using Attachments in Browser?  Have you run into any problems?
Where
did you decide to store the attachments and why?  Security issues?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Lisa A. Thomas
Hayssen
Packaging Technologies