DAle,

Is it your opinion that it is not feasable to secure the I.T. staff from particular mapics files ??? That is my current opinion.

jeff

From: DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: security  ???   anyone ???
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:41:33 -0500

Paula and/or Bob,

On a MAPICS menu, I get "Invalid Menu Option", and on a non-MAPICS menu, I
get a "Invalid Item Number".  Maybe I'm safe?  A sizable chunk of my
internal security rests on this working (well, actually not working!) - you
guys are ruining my digestion.

Dale @ Fleetwood

<pgroeber@xxxxxxxx
h.net> To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cc:
mapics-l-bounces@x Subject: Re: Re: security ??? anyone ???
idrange.com

03/21/2003 10:57 AM Please respond to MAPICS ERP System Discussion

Dale,

Oh! I can answer that one! *WS

Paola Groeber

> > From: DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx > Date: 2003/03/21 Fri AM 10:46:25 EST > To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> > Subject: Re: security ??? anyone ??? > > > Bob, > > I have a question. I have blocked command line access (Limit Capabilities > = *YES), and the users only get a 4 character command line that they use to > enter a menu option # (for non-MAPICS users) or the 4 character MAPICS menu > option (for MAPICS users - we use MAPICS Menuing). How can they type " > *wrksplf"? I'm concerned about this security issue..... > > Dale Gindlesperger > Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc. > > > >

> "Bob Tenney"

>                       <bobtenney@xxxxxxx        To:       "MAPICS ERP
System Discussion" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>                       nk.net>                   cc:

>                       Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: security
???   anyone ???
>                       mapics-l-bounces@x

> idrange.com

> 03/21/2003 09:31

> AM

> Please respond to

> MAPICS ERP System

> Discussion

> Jeff, I have two thoughts on your e-mail
>
> 1--When you block command line access, users can still get back-door
access
> by typing *wrksplf. So you are likely to have only the illusion of
> security.
> In my view this is worse than no security.
>
> 2--IFM's security lets you control access by user and function. I realize
> that IFM may be overkill in this case, but if security is "driving the
bus"
> then it is a much better way to go. Also, if someone did get access to
IFM