This problem is quite significant for end-users, which you no doubt have
observed.  It requires carefuly business process design to be sure that
people use the right descriptions when searching.  In many circumstances,
the descriptions can be different for good reasons.  But if you're not
careful, you start searching using one description and can't find the item
(or bill or process or routing) when you KNOW it's there.  As time goes
by, they migrate even further - usually because the users are unaware of
all the descriptions and which ones you might want to keep in sync.

For one customer, we wrote a program that brings them back into sync
again.  Specifically, we used the description from the item revision that
is released to update the Enterprise Item, the BOM Header, Item Process
and Routing header.  Unfortunately, that approach doesn't work for them
anymore because we have good reasons to keep the descriptions different in
some cases.  ?

What we've usually found is that there is no substitution for a thoroughly
thought out procedure/process for the creation, maintenance and management
of items, bills and routings.  (I know - probably preaching to the choir
here).

Michael G. Ellis
Information Systems International, Inc.
A Global ERP Consulting Firm
815-398-1670 x23

Choose ISI consultants to ensure consistently top quality implementation
services at all levels of your organization.

"To enjoy the things we ought and to hate the things we ought has the
greatest bearing on excellence of character. "
Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics

message: 1
date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:27:37 -0500
from: TBiby@xxxxxxx
subject: Item Descriptions

            We are at release 6 using EPDM.  Does anyone else have
problems
with the descriptions being different in the item process, item revision,
enterprise item, and BOM header?  How did you resolve this?   When the
item
is created they are all the same-if you change one, it only changes for
that
file.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

THANKS!