Mike Bennett - Information Services Manager
Kimray Inc.
52 NW 42nd Street OKC,OK  USA 73118
405-525-6601 - 405-525-6165 fax
www.kimray.com
bible.crosswalk.com
www.lifechurch.tv

"McCready, Joan" <Joan.McCready@metaltekint.com>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@midrange.com
01/28/2003 09:57 AM
Please respond to MAPICS ERP System Discussion

        To:     "'MAPICS ERP System Discussion'" <mapics-l@midrange.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Reporting Rework

Tom,

That could work, but you lose visibility as to WHY the parts are being
reworked. If 75% of your rework is in 15% of your product, then there is
an
opportunity (a la Six Sigma).

That's why we want to capture rework as part of the WIP MO... We want to
know why things went wrong and rework was required.

We are using PaperLess, but this would also work with PCC - our inspectors
(and ONLY our inspectors) add the rework operation to the open MO when it
is
decided that rework is needed. They can add notes when they create the
operation. The added operation(s) then appear as a labor variance against
the MO, etc., etc., etc. (I think - I'm not the cost acct - that the
rework
"facility" information directs the rework labor to the rework accounts and
not the "standard" labor accounts...) Material is rarely issued at a
rework
operation, but that is an on-going issue since we back-flush standard
materials instead of having the workers record inventory transactions as
they report pieces completed at operations.

My 2 cents worth...  -- Joan

Joan McCready, IS Manager      phone:  636-479-4499
MetalTek International         fax:  636-479-3399
The Carondelet Division        www.metaltekint.com
8600 Commercial Blvd
Pevely, MO  63070