Hello Bob,

We had the exact same situation 3 years ago.  IBM makes several excellent
high capacity printers for this.  Of course, they are fairly expensive,
and only one or two have the required input and stacking capacity we
needed (we run unattended a lot of the time).  What we did instead was
lease a Ricoh Aficio 650 duplexing laser copier with 3,000 sheet input and
3,000 sheet output/stacking capabilities with an iData interface box to
provide IPDS/AFP capability.  The unit is our network, and mapped to the
AS/400.  This had the net effect of giving us a high speed, high volume
network printer, and the same capabilities on our iSeries.  The print
quality (especially for the bar codes) is excellent.  No bad reads at all.

The lease, with supplies (toner and such) and maintenance (not including
paper), is under $2K per quarter.  The print speed (66 pages per minute)
really lets us zip through our shop packet creation, which (like you)
exceeds 2,000 pages a day on some days.  I would be glad to put you in
touch with our local rep, who could refer you to your local shop and
provide them with specs.  Our lease is up in February, and I am definitely
rolling over to the new version of the same unit.

We also use the unit to print A/R statements, invoices, and the occasional
high volume network print job (flyers from HR for the entire division,
sales mailings, and so on).  Since it has a digital input (as well as the
standard copier scanner platen), each "copy" is an original, laser printer
quality document.  It has saved the division a bunch of bucks!

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.

Bob.Voltz@Biometmail.com