Lakshmi, You are always better off using a MAPICS offline load function if
one exists because MAPICS edits your offline transactions and then updates
its files just as if you had entered the data directly into MAPICS. Once you
start zapping MAPICS databases, you have to make sure that your data would
pass MAPICS edits and you have to update all the files that MAPICS would
have updated.

Here are some things that you need to consider regarding your project.

1. Is  IFM or AM-AP installed? If yes,  then your best bet is to process the
approved invoices through IFM's Legacy System Bridge or the AM-AP offline
load and let MAPICS do the updating.

2. How are you going to handle inventory costs if you do not use an offline
load? When MAPICS processes an invoice it impacts inventory costs:

- If you are using standard costs, you can pass standard cost data to the
non-MAPICS system and have it calculate and record the purchase variances.

- If you are using average costs, you must update the average costs in
MAPICS so that your product cost data is correct. There are two approaches:
(a) Enter the invoice amount when you enter the purchase receipt and tailor
IM to recalculate average costs based on these amounts. If you do this, you
need to use CA transactions to update IM for any invoice amount changes made
by the non-MAPICS system. (b) Create CA transactions to update IM for the
difference between the current average cost and the invoice unit price.

3. How are you going to use the invoice data that you pass to MAPICS? Here
are three possibilities:

(a) If you want the data for PO query purposes, then you need to update the
invoice info in PUR.
(b) If you want the data to support automatic PO closeout, you need to
update PUR when you process the invoice and again when you pay the invoice.
(c) If you want to use the data for vendor statistics, then you have to
update the cumulative statistical amounts on the Vendor Master.

4. Are you using blanket purchase orders? If yes, you need to update PUR by
PO, Item, and Release.

Bob Tenney, CPA
Bob Tenney Solutions, LLC
MAPICS - FRx - Crystal Reports
Visit www.tenneypubs.com for books about IFM, FRx, COM, General Ledger
Interfaces, Cost Accounting, and Info WorkPlace