Hi Mark W. Taylor:

I went to the Mapics Support website and found the
following about MRP and Safety Stock:

------from Mapics E:Info No Wait Responce System------

Solution Information
Title: Appearance of Safety Stock in MAPICS XA MRP
ID: 425638
Domain: mapicsl

Here is the solution:  Appearance of Safety Stock in
MAPICS XA MRP Safety Stock shows on inquiries and reports
as a requirement with a type of *SF. The requirement may
be on the current date, leadtime, cumulative material
leadtime or cumulative manufacturing leadtime. The
requirement is not like other requirements in that it does
not subtract from the projected balance, however after the
Safety Stock requirement, MRP plans the projected balance
to be at the Safety Stock level or higher if order
modifiers such as minimum or multiple quantities exist.

Also, unlike other types of requirements, safety stock
requirements are not represented by a record in REQMTS --
the requirements file. The safety stock requirement is
built 'on the fly' by the item requirements inquiry
program and by the planning programs.

Prior to XAR3, Safety Stock was always a requirement at
lead time.

XAR4, XAR5 & XAR55 has two options:
1) product lead time
2) MRP Current Date

XAR6 has four options:
1) MRP current date
2) purchase or manufacturing lead time (based on the lead
time code)
3) cumulative material lead time
4) cumulative manufacturing lead time

------from Mapics E:Info No Wait Responce System------

I hope this helps you with your question.

Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR
aldg1@charter.net

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:06:57 -0400