Doug,

Are you planning on just changing the spool file to print on a laser
printer with pre-printed check stock, or do you want to convert to MICR
printing to print the entire form with bank routing, amounts and check
numbers?  The simplest conversion is to use pre-printed stock and send
the spool file to the laser printer.  However, this does not alleviate
the issues of having pre-printed check stock ready to sign on hand.

With a MICR implementation, you have a few considerations:

1) MICR is a special font but more importantly it requires a special
magnetic ink toner which is expensive.  You do not want to leave it in
the printer - due to both cost and potential for someone "creating"
their own check layout to print.

2) You can use blank check stock - the check paper with watermark, etc
but no printing.  Eliminates having volumes of signable documents on
hand to account for and secure.  Additionally, the signature plate can
be scanned and printed directly onto the checks too, eliminating a
manual signing step.

3) You do need to secure the MICR toner and possibly the printer with
MICR font.  There are a number of methods that include key lockout on
the printer and hardware detection of both MICR and toner and prevent
printing if all are not correct.  We recommend an HP JetCaps solutions,
try www.jetcaps.com for information.

4) You usually need to do a test run with your bank to verify the MICR
quality - to ensure that the checks you print are readable.

These are critical concerns, but don't let the issues stop you from
printing your own checks.  Approach it carefully and determine what your
needs and wants really are.

You also don't need to worry about reformatting the form, the Mapics
application JacanaForms is designed to work with MICR fonts and check
printing.  With it, you can take your existing output, reformat it to
fit a laser printed document, and easily generate the form layout and
design to fit your needs and the banking requirements.  JacanaForms also
comes with standard forms templates that replicate existing Mapics
forms.

Momentum Utilities is the developer of JacanaForms, if you are
interested, please reply privately to me.

Regards,
Gregory Novak
Manager North American Technical Services
Momentum Utilities Pty Ltd
(630) 985-1736
gnovak@jacana.com
www.jacana.com