If you were my customer and I was quoting a box for you, I would put you in
an 820 2435 (CPW 650). How many of these users are using the client apps???
If you are not using any, then you can go for a smaller sized iSeries, but
an icreased interactive CPW of 120. (Which will bring on the big $$$$)

If you are user based pricing, then the higher CPW machine is definetly the
way to go.

The "nice" thing about the client apps is that you can upgrade the batch
CPW for a lot less than the interactive.. Most of my customer get by with a
CPW of 35 for interactive and they are fine with the response time.. For
100+ users I may go with 70 CPW for interactive.

I can tell you from experience, the more CPW you have for batch the nicer
the client apps work.. We had a customer that HATED the client apps, but
when they upgraded to a much bigger box, they love them.

Michael Franchino
Custom Systems Corporation
www.cussys.com
(973) 726-0202 X214 (Phone)
(973) 726-4552 (Fax)

|         |           Konrad           |
|         |           Underkofler      |
|         |           <kdunderk@hoshiza|
|         |           ki.com>          |
|         |           mapics-l-admin@mi|
|         |           drange.com       |
|         |           05/28/2002 12:05 |
|         |           mapics-l         |

  |       To:       "'mapics-l@midrange.com'" <mapics-l@midrange.com>
                                                 |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  RE: AS/400 Upgrade charges-R7 Performance

David,

The real issue on our part is the green screen penalty
vs size of as/400. It looks as if the requirements in
SH14412 had us in a 2350 cpw 270. We are currently at
an 85cpw 620.  I am not sure we want to go into the
15 extra intel servers just for the admin overhead.
Not to mention the specs are for a dedicated box and
we have quite a few addon and inhouse developed
applications to support. The fat client approach will
not work for a few years either since most of our pc
population is inadequate.

How are the users counted in SH14412? Quite a few of
our users have sign ons in multiple environments. So
we are either 100+ discrete pcs or 230+ environment
users?

Thanks!

Konrad