It really makes no difference what the item type is.  A manufactured part can
be purchased and vice versa.  The standard can be keyed into the itemasb and
the CTC left blank.  Since they are in different environments, it would make
more sense to show the purchased part as an item type 4.  Remember, you have
many different class code categories at your disposal (like item accounting
class, item sales class), and you might use one of them in both environments to
identify finished goods.

Lisa Cohen Weaver
Guide Technologies

Hi Bill!
I do not know if I understood correctly neither which applications you have in
MAPICS but maybe if you define a  relationship on your manufacturing division
environment (let's call it MM) like:

Finished Good Item - ABC
Sales Customer 123 (your purchasing division)
Sales Customer Item - DEF

1st Scene: You can define a Xref between the FG and how "the customer" is
ordering the FG (which in this case it will be DEF).  At the time you ship the
FG, you will be shipping ABC (this is on MM).  On the reports and invoices will
appear the item 123 (maybe, I can't recall very well, guys correct me if I am
wrong please).

2nd Scene: On the other side, let's say that your purchasing division
environment is called MP.  In there, you could set also a relationship and say:
my vendor item number is 123 but after receiving the material to stock, do a
transfer to the FG ABC.

For the first scene, in MM, you can use the Customer Item Number Cross-Reference
File in COM.

I do not know if I add more confusion than light here but at least my intention
is to help.

PALL Corporation
Peter Vidal
Senior System Analyst

                    "Bill Mongan"
                    <bmongan@generac.        To:     <mapics-l@midrange.com>
                    com>                     cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     finished goods
                    mapics-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    05/01/2002 04:25
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    mapics-l

We are in the planning stages of separating 2 business units (divisions)
into 2 separate MAPICs environments, which are currently operating in one
environment. My question has to do with finished goods that one division
purchases from another for sale to their customers. Today, in one
environment, there is one item master, which is an item type 1 = finished
goods, and has the bill of material and routing. Once we split, the bill of
material and routing will only be maintained in the manufacturing division.
We are struggling with what to do with the item in the purchasing division.
They want to make it a purchased part, item type 4 or 9. But them how do I
recognize and treat it as a finished good in their division, since it won't
be an item type 1??  I still want to classify it as a finished good, since
it is for sale to the end customer.    It does not look like I can still
keep it an item type 1 without a bill of material or routing, since I can't
then load a cost.   Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Bill Mongan, CPA
Cost Accounting Manager