[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
No input on the purge of item master, but it has
been my experience that accounting and human
resource departments change account numbers
and employee numbers so they show up in the
subfile display in alphabetical order per their
assigned number.  whenever a person or company
changes their name, they get a new number so
they will continue fitting the scheme.
>From their perspective it makes sense, they
can scroll/jump to the alpha range rather than
doing a search.
>From an IS perspective, well that's another story......lost history!
"Bob Randall" <BLR@Airxcel.com>
Sent by: mapics-l-admin@midrange.com

04/17/2002 06:32 AM
Please respond to mapics-l

        To:        <mapics-l@midrange.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Customer Master Purge
Housekeeping? Who does housekeeping? Ha Ha.
We have many old customer master records that our AR department would
like deleted. They all have old activity dates and the customer is
either inactive or they have given the customer a new number for some
reason. The AR group would prefer not to hand enter the deletes. Anyway,
has anyone successfully done something like this in a program?
I am concerned about other files referencing the customer number, like
order history. Is there a way to make sure I check all the proper files
before I delete a record?
TIA,
Bob Randall
Airxcel, Inc.