I use replicate MAPICS data to our SQL Server for 2 purposes.
        First off, I use the SQL Server as a data warehouse since drive
space for a Windows NT Server is a fraction of a cost of drive space for an
AS/400. For example our IMHIST file has over 3 million records in it. When
the data replicated to the SQL Server we can purge the AS/400 file and still
maintain a historical record of
        Secondly, using access with the replicated data allows for more
flexible data mining. And more "pretty" reports.

        For those that use SQL Server I would reccommend the Hit Software
OLEDB driver http://www.hitsw.com/ It costs around $1000 for a single server
license, but is roughly 4 to 5 times faster than the Client Access ODBC
drivers.

        For data manipulation of a MAPICS file, you must link to and ODBC
file. When you link to the MAPICS file Access will prompt your for the
unique record identifier. Here you would select all the fields of the MAPICS
files which are the keyed fields. Then you will be able to manipulate the
files at the rowset level.
        I would like to point out though that care should be taken when
manipulating MAPICS files "out-side the box", it is very easy to accidently
change important data in a file.

If you would like more information on this please contact me off list.