  • Subject: Re: Analytical alternative for MAPICS
  • From: "Dave Shaw" <daveshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 07:06:43 -0400

Reminder: PLEASE use your subscribed account when sending mail to the list!

Forwarded by moderator on behalf of Grove Haentjens
[gdh2409@impop.bellatlantic.net]:

> I have also used Excel Pivot Tables for bookings and sales analysis
because my previous company was so dissatisfied with MMA -- this was release
3 and may be improved by now. I found performance to be much better when I
loaded the data into Access, instead of using the ODBC option to bring the
data directly into the pivot table. Excel can then pull in the data very
quickly into the pivot table. I had about 120,000 records in an Access file
and performance was very good.

> I have not gotten as far as using a browser to access and manipulate the
pivot table, but the following book will tell you how to do the internet
part: Programming Microsoft Office 2000 Web Components, Microsoft Press.

> For gathering bookings, we simply wrote two queries: one pulled orders
from open order COM files, and the other from COM history. Both used order
date as the select criteria, and the queries combined the output records
into the same file. If you replace (instead of add to) the files each time
the queries are run, or at some periodic interval, the order change problem
is automatically resolved without any special programming.

> Grove Haentjens
> Stokes Vacuum, Inc.
> Philadelphia, Pa
>

> Tom Wood wrote:
>
> > We developed an extremely powerful tool (Executive Information System)
using software most of you already have on your systems:

> > Query/400 (queries written to summarize information and output to
database file instead of to printer)
> > AS400 Job Scheduler (to schedule the series of queries that run at
night)
> > Client Access (needed to provide the ODBC link)
> > MS Excel 2000 Pivot Tables & Charts (a little known feature of Excel
that will knock your socks off!)
> > MS ODBC (open data base connectivity standard with Windows)
> > MS Internet Explorer 5.0 (web browser used to view/navigate tables &
charts)

> > With the above mixture, we've eliminated many paper reports, provided
almost real-time information on sales, orders, purchasing activity,
headcount, labor hours analysis (paid,job,earned), scrap information,
variance information, general ledger account activity, inventory trends,
aged payables and receivables trends.  In addition, we created a few inquiry
tools that the users love such as an inquiry screen that allows users to
look at po line items (both history and active) with search criteria of item
number, description (comments), requisitioner, warehouse, etc.

> > All accessible from an Excel spreadsheet that is linked to Internet
Explorer, giving it the look and feel of a web page.  All charts and tables
are neatly organized by functional area (Accounting, Human Resources, Sales
... etc.) with hyperlinks to other spreadsheets (pivot tables/charts).
Works great.

> > Downside:
> > - up front effort creating queries & tables and minimal pc configuration
> > - queries must be maintained should MAPICS databases change
> >
> > Upside:
> > - cost
> > - flexibility (almost limitless number of ways to display information)
> > - data is in read-only Excel spreadsheet stored on server drive which
can be copy/pasted by user into their own spreadsheet
> > - real-time information (almost - usually about 1 day behind)
> > - wealth of information at users finger tips
> > - homerun for users and execs feeling a little underwhelmed by MAPICS
green screens and sometimes cumbersome navigation
> > - if all else fails, at least having gone through the effort you'll know
what you need/want when buying an off the shelf system

> > Steve,
> > The concern of your management is not uncommon.  The PC vs. MidRange
> > comparisons are common throughout the midrange environment.  The issue
is
> > complicated by assumptions and perceptions held by management.
> >
> > The solutions being evaluated must not only solve the business issue,
they
> > must also provide a positive return on the invested capital.  Until one
> > understands the scope, capabilities, cost and value to one's business, a
> > comparison of estimated prices of different solutions is a frustrating
> > exercise.
> >
> > The price of GPS is dependent on several factors, and the entry point
can be
> > well below the $80K level previously quoted.  The value is dependent on
your
> > unique situation.  It is our responsibility as a potential vendor to
> > understand your business, present the solution, and assist you in
> > determining the financial benefit and impact.
> >
> > Patrick Beil

OLAP
> > product for sales.
> >
> > So far whenever we compare an AS/400 and Mapics offerings against a PC
> > product like
> >
> > POWERPLAY management flips out because they can't see why the PC
offerings
> > are under
> >
> > $2,000.00 per PC compared to your price of over $80,000.00.
> >
> > The difference is hard to sell to management.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > Steve Shurge
> > 850 Montee de Liese
> > Montreal, Quebec
> > H4T 1P4
> > Phone # 514 341 3550 ext 2655
> > Fax #     514 341 1292

MAPICS
> > information-access related issues.
> >
> > Regarding the price, we would welcome the opportunity to revisit the
> > situation, and work to determine a mutually beneficial scenario.
(Sounds

MAPICS-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
> > daveshaw@bellsouth.net
> > +---