  • Subject: RE: EDI Requirements
  • From: "Ashworth, Thomas R." <TAshwort@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:43:15 -0400

To All,

We had the 'luxury' of having a successful implementation of a reputable
AS/400 EDI solution (Premenos EDI/400, now Peregrine Systems TrustedLink
AS400 version)  prior to our install of MAPICS COM/EC.  I am willing to give
testimony for the EC module from this approach, and that I personally
benefitted from the following:
1. As mentioned, pre-existing experience with a third-party, AS/400-based
EDI translator (to reference comments/preferences expressed previously in
this thread),
2. The ability to retain the invenstment in our choice of EDI translator
(the Premenos EDI translator was/is the model that the EC module was
developed around),
3. An appreciation for the complexity of the COM database and the value-add
of the EC module as a 'pass-through' to our choice of translator, and
4. The opportunity to attend the EC Training session as offerred via the
MAPICS University.

My condolences go out to any shop that don't share our opportunities.  I too
have had to integrate PC-based data into the AS/400-iSeries platform and I
have intentionally used features in the EDI Translator and the EC module to
bring it into the MAPICS appication.

One additional note, our previous dollar-investment in the
Premenos/Peregrine translator was not only retained, but the EC
implementation was completed with a minimal staff overhead and virtually no
contracted outside involvement.  To be completely fair, however, the EXTOL
EDI Translator also claims to be fully capable of MAPICS COM integration and
is certainly a contender as a thrid-party EDI front-end.

The only caveat that I can offer on ANY MAPICS implementation... make sure
that you don't short yourself on CPU horsepower and Memory.  Many of my
problems with the COM, EC and subsequent Peregrine Translator
implementation/upgrade arose from hosting them on an under-powered Model
600.  We have, again, been fortunate to have been able to upgrade to a Model
820 iSeries, and in the words of one of the Operations staff, "Man, this
thing RIPS!"

Hope this helps,
Thomas Ashworth
Asltec Lansing Technologies, Inc.