Funny how saving this stuff makes sense, this sysctl lock problem started
haunting
us, bizarre enough - right after we went to V4R4.

Our backups failed due to a lock on SYSCTL by QUSER with respect
to QDASOINIT.

Turns out MAPICS has the answer on their NOWAIT system.
(I am truly humbled!)

Client Access ODBC Data Transfer function locking the default user, QUSER,
on SYSCTL
      because MAPICS Client application using XA files.

 Use the AS/400 command:
        WRKOBJLCK OBJ(AMFLIBy/SYSCTL) OBJTYPE(*FILE)
                ('y' = the second character of the environment ID)
      to locate the job locked on the SYSCTL file.

        1. Use the command WRKOBJLCK to find the 'User' which is QUSER,
            and the 'Job' or Job(s) for QZDASOINIT. Then note the AS/400
Job Number.
            This done by doing the following -
                A. Use the command - WRKOBJLCK OBJ(AMFLIBy/SYSCTL) OBJTYPE
(*FILE)
                B. Locate the QUSER lock on SYSCTL and use option 5=Work
with job
                    and then on the next panel the Job Number will appear
such as
                    'Job: QPADEV0067' as seen in the heading.
        2. Use the command, WRKACTJOB to find the Job or Jobs for QUSER,
for
            Subsystem/Job which is QSERVER, and use the option 4 to END the
job,
            and F4 to prompt to change the ending to the *IMMED.

     To prevent future locks on SYSCTL do the following:

        1. Use ENDPJ for job QZDASOINIT in library QIWS, subsystem QSERVER.
            ENDPJ SBS(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT) OPTION(*IMMED)
        2. Use CHGPJE for job QZDASOINIT in library QIWS, subsystem
QSERVER;
                change "Max number of uses" to '1'; "Max number of jobs" to
*NOMAX
            CHGPJE SBSD(QSYS/QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT) MAXJOBS(*NOMAX)
MAXUSE(1)
        3. Use STRPJ for job QZDASOINIT in library QIWS, subsystem QSERVER.
                   STRPJ SBS(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT)
        4. Use the command STRHOSTSVR *ALL to get all the HOST servers to
run again.
                NOTE: Ignore any error messages received

    Follow all of the above steps, if the job found during the WRKOBJLCK
for SYSCTL is QZDAINIT.

        QZDAINIT is for NetSoft Router connections and QZDASOINIT is for
TCP/IP
        connections. The locks are a result of someone that is either still
logged into
        EPDM/PDM+ or had a power loss to the PC or a user just turned off
the PC
        without logging out. When in EPDM/PDM+ the ODBC establishes this
lock
        for data transfer. There is also a built in function of the AS/400
OS that keeps
        a prestart job waiting for performance reasons to allocate it to
the next user.
        This causes a pseudo lock on the file SYSCTL. The SYSVAL change
should
        help this problem. These are the actual commands typed on a command
line:
                    A. ENDPJ SBS(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT) OPTION
(*IMMED)
                    B. CHGPJE SBSD(QSYS/QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDAINIT) MAXJOBS
(*NOMAX) MAXUSE(1)
                    C. STRPJ SBS(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDAINIT)
                D. STRHOSTSVR *ALL

        5. WRKSYSVAL QDEVRCYACN and change to *ENDJOB if needed
        6. Make sure that the keep alive value for is set to 5 minutes by
doing a
            CHGTCPA prompted with an F4.

                    Steve.VanPortfliet@michig

                    anbulb.com                       To:
MAPICS-L@MIDRANGE.COM
                    Sent by:                         cc:

                    owner-mapics-l@MIDRANGE.C        Subject:     RE:
QZDASOINIT
                    OM

                    10/23/00 06:49 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MAPICS-L

Yes.  I realized it could cause a problem with the backup.  Also, I think
abended jobs may leave a lock on file SYSCTL that need to be cleared.  The
following program runs prior to the backup.  Hope it helps.....

             PGM
             DCL        VAR(&JOB)    TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
             DCL        VAR(&USER)   TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
             DCL        VAR(&NUMBER) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(6)
             DCLF       FILE(SPOOL132)

             WRKOBJLCK  OBJ(SYSCTL) OBJTYPE(*FILE) OUTPUT(*PRINT)
             CPYSPLF    FILE(QPDSPOLK) TOFILE(SPOOL132)
 READ:       RCVF
             MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0864 CPF4101) EXEC(GOTO +
                          CMDLBL(ENDFILE))
             CHGVAR     VAR(&JOB) VALUE(%SST(&SPOOL132 15 10))

             IF         COND(%SUBSTRING(&JOB 1 10) *EQ 'QZDASOINIT') +
                          THEN(DO)
             CHGVAR     VAR(&USER)   VALUE(%SST(&SPOOL132 26 10))
             CHGVAR     VAR(&NUMBER) VALUE(%SST(&SPOOL132 37 6))

             ENDJOB     JOB(&NUMBER/&USER/&JOB) OPTION(*IMMED)

             ENDDO

             GOTO       CMDLBL(READ)
ENDFILE:

             ENDPGM