  • Subject: Re: QZDASOINIT
  • From: "David Friihauf" <dfriihauf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:05:55 -0500

The issues associated with QZDASOINIT are well documented in SH13322, the
MAPICS XA Client/Server Informational PTF for XA Release 4, 5, 5.5 and 6.
You should not have to do any special programming to clean up these jobs if
the steps are followed in this informational PTF.  The specifics regarding
QZDASOINIT according to SH13322 are as follows:

(9) Change TCP/IP attributes for "Keep Alive" parameter

The TCP/IP "Keep Alive" parameter specifies the number of
minutes to wait before sending a probe to the other side of the
TCP/IP connection when the connection is otherwise idle.  The
default value for this parameter is 120 minutes.  For optimal
performance, we recommend this parameter should be changed to
5 minutes.

CHGTCPA TCPLEEPALV(5)

(12) Allowing for multiple pre-start jobs

Client Server users can encounter slow connect times. Often, this is
because of the low number of default prestart job entries for the
QZDASOINIT (TCP/IP) jobs. When the initial number of prestart
active jobs reaches a threshold, additional jobs are started, but the
user who trips the threshold pays the response time price of
waiting for the additional number of jobs to start. The AS/400
system default is one. Therefore, additional jobs must be started for
each new user. Currently when an XA client session starts, two
jobs must be started to support the ODBC and Client connections.

To avoid this, set the initial number of prestart jobs to a higher
number and then restart the prestart jobs.

CHGPJE SBSD(QSYS/QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT) INLJOBS(see note 1)
ENDPJ SBSD(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT) OPTION(*IMMED)
STRPJ SBSD(QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT)

Note 1: INLJOBS should be equal to the number of Client users plus
plus buffer multiplied by two.
       Example: INLJOBS = (50 client users) * 2 = 100

(13) Maximum number of uses for pre-start jobs

It is very important that the maximum number of uses for pre-start
jobs be set to 1.  Use the Change Pre-start Job Entry command to
change this parameter if it is not currently set correctly.  The
setting of MAXUSE=1 will prevent QZDASOINIT jobs from
holding locks on SYSCTL after the QZDASOINIT job has ended.

CHGPJE SBSD(QSYS/QSERVER) PGM(QIWS/QZDASOINIT) MAXUSE (1)

Specifically items 9 and 13 will make sure that these jobs end in a timely
fashion and release their locks.  Item 12 is a performance consideration and
may make your MAPICS client/server jobs start with less overhead.

Regards,

David Friihauf
AS400 Technical Services Manager
Agility, Inc.