I've always used thumb-screws on browser users who don't log out correctly
when they leave for the day (grin!).

Actually, an education campaign telling users what causes failed MAPICS
backups has cleared up most of the problems.  We went from only getting a
MAPICS backup when I came in on Sunday morning, cleaned up the system and
manually ran the backup, to getting the backup 4-5 nights a week. (We still
have occasional end-users who "forget" the proper procedures.)  I held
15-minute "sessions" on how to prepare each user's part of MAPICS for
nightly backup, then posted signs congratulating everyone when we got an
unattended backup or followed up with the user who killed the backup to make
sure they understood their "shut-down" end-of-day procedures.  Within a
month, we were getting unattended backups with rarely a "hitch."

Someone else mentioned ABENDS - yes, ABENDS for either MAPICS or browser
sessions will prevent a MAPICS backup.  Part of our "5:00 pm" operator
duties is to clear all ABENDS, release all MAPICS licenses (WRKLICINF), make
sure all IM batches are closed and finished, etc.  Also, when we implemented
shop-floor reporting with MDCC (PaperLess), I had to add a pre-backup
command ending the monitor job and a post-backup command to re-start the
monitor job. You only have to set this up once - if anyone needs the
commands, e-mail me personally and I'll look them up for you.

We schedule the unattended MAPICS backup daily at 11:00 pm (so it is more
than finished before the unattended AS/400 backup at 2:00 am).  There are
only a few 2nd/3rd shift users who might have something "open", but
individual training took care of any problems.

Joan McCready, IS Manager         phone:  636-479-4499
The Carondelet Corporation        fax:  636-479-3399
8600 Commercial Blvd              www.metaltekint.com
Pevely, MO  63070

PS - I hope no MAPICS engineers are "lurking."  Did you know that you can
clear the MAPICS user licenses (WRKLICINF) without affecting the users, even
when they are logged in?  We have a 50-user license, and didn't release the
licenses until we "bumped" to 52 users (including temps we had hired during
conversion and then hadn't been here for at least four months at the time).
We really aren't trying to get around buying more user seats, but 50 is
enough for us (we run about 40-42 concurrent users during the peak of the
business day).  I see no reason why a first and second shift supervisor
should not be allowed to "share" a license....  So, we release all licenses
first thing in the morning, around lunch time, and right before going home.
We're on XA 4.0, BTW.