  • Subject: Re: Upgrade Considerations: Software vs Hardware
  • From: gcrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 06:41:09 -0400

Al, everyone has given you their comments.  I agree, the cost to upgrade MAPICS
is more than the Cisc to Risc.  What I did not see from the other people were
the advantages of the NEW functions from DB to XA.  Also, the future growth that
is available to you both on AS400 and MAPICS.   The abilities of the Risc
machines far outreach the Cisc.  The ability of new client server apps help to
ease the migration costs.  MAPICS upgrade costs were the biggest problem we had
with our decision process.  It was more painful in the decision process that the
actual migration.  But, after all the pain, it was definitely worth it.  It has
taken our company to a new higher level.  If you can get the financing, go for
it.  Negotiate with MAPICS and ask for some client server software to be thrown
in as part of the upgrade.  MMA is good for the top level execs.  Good luck!

Gail Crane, IS Manager
Johanson Manufacturing Corp.

"aldg" <aldg@mail.rvi.net> on 08/30/2000 12:37:39 PM

Please respond to MAPICS-L@midrange.com

cc:   "Gershen, Al" <aldg@mail.rvi.net>, "Gershen, Al" <aldg5@webtv.net> (bcc:
      Gail L Crane/Johanson/JMC)

Subject:  Upgrade Considerations: Software vs Hardware

Hi Mapics ML:

My employer has an interesting situation to ponder and I thought I would request
some feedback from the ML members because you may have been though a similar
situation before.

We've been a Mapics DB (Y2K, Mod 4) user for many years on a CISC version of the
AS/400.  If we upgrade to Mapics XA, we have to replace our hardware with RISC
type because EA doesn't support CISC.

We have been looking at other ERP software such as HarrisData because it will
run on our existing hardware and it appears to be similar to Mapics.

The other consideration is that apparantly IBM won't be offering any upgrades or
support for our old CISC machine in the future.

My employer is trying to make the best decision given the economic restraints it
has to operate in.  If money were no object, we would probably upgrade to XA and
get the new hardware but this is the real world that we are dealing in and the
decision has to be analyzed from all points of view.

Please comment on this situation so that I can offer my employer some of your
suggestions on this matter.

--
Above message before copy enclosure (if any) was sent by:

Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR 97526
aldg@mail.rvi.net & aldg@webtv.net;
and thru ICQ # 12342782