  • Subject: RE: Upgrade Considerations: Software vs Hardware
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:39:35 -0400

Al,

Do you have comparison costs?  Most importantly, do you have realistic
implementation costs for both options?  Upgrading from DB to XA is going to
take time and effort, but your data will be preserved and the learning curve
for your company will be reasonably short.  A new system requires converting
the data, either through some (probably custom) conversion programming, or
by x people keying stuff for y days.  A new system will require extensive
(therefor expensive) training.  There will be more and larger changes to
policies and procedures.  You're really talking a major implementation
versus "just" a major upgrade (not that I mean to trivialize either one,
they're both large undertakings).

My gut feeling is that with realistic estimates for all of this that
replacing your old machine with a nice new box is likely to come out
cheaper.  I could be wrong, though.  The other factor is risk of unexpected
business disruption - you need to consider that in both scenarios.

One final question: Is your old box big enough to carry both your existing
MAPICS installation AND your new ERP system during the testing and
conversion process?  You could end up with hardware upgrade costs anyway,
just to be able to switch!  For that matter, you need to be sure your old
box can handle the load of whatever new ERP you pick - MAPICS/db is
relatively lightweight for the function provided, most of its competitors
are heavier.

The ultimate issue is going to be which will fit the business better when
you're all done.  If it costs a little extra but you get a better fit, it's
probably worth it, whichever choice that is.

Dave Shaw
MAPICS-L Moderator
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC