  • Subject: RE: Tier based vs. User based pricing
  • From: "Bob Randall" <BLR@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:47:07 -0600

We were on a tier licensed system for about 10 years. We now use user based
pricing, the "registered user" version. (I don't remember their term for
it.) I was confused when we went this way. It is NOT concurrent user
licensing, which I originally thought I was getting. I am remaining on
registered instead of concurrent because with registered I get multiple
sessions on the same PC with one license. I don't understand why that
changes with concurrent, but it does. I would really like some sort of
combination licensing, or reasonable tier license.

My major issues with user licensing are:

1...It would be nice for people to be able to sign on at more than one
machine. I am told this requires concurrent licensing. Then, people would
use a license for each session on the PC. Some people around here have 4
sessions going. Catch22, so we stay with registered licenses.

2...If people can't sign on at more than one machine, it would seem like if
they are not signed on, their license should be released (my definition of
concurrent). This is obviously not the case, it also requires concurrent
licensing. And since this is not the case, we need more licenses.

<RANT ON>
I know there was a major investment, and probably other expenses I don't
know about or understand. Regardless, it seems to me that a software
company, like MAPICS, could give away a product and live on the maintenance.
I obviously get disturbed by the high initial license fee. ;-) And then to
cap it off with what -I- consider to be strange rules between registered and
concurrent licensing...
<RANT OFF> (before I get any windier)

Bob Randall
Airxcel, Inc.