  • Subject: RE: EC Experiences
  • From: "Ashworth, Thomas R." <TAshwort@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:16:15 -0500

We implemented EC as a component of an overall system upgrade/enhancement
project in Sept. 1998, so the actual install time is difficult to determine.

I certainly wouldn't call EC a magic-bullet for EDI processing, but to be
honest, I can't imaging trying to manage MAPICS COM without it.  The file
structure of the MAPICS XA database is complex to the point that I believe a
full-time staffing effort would have to be made to support it.  We have been
able to handle all our accounts (<15 at this time) with a 2-person
'department'.  In addition, our shop uses the Harbinger EDI/400 package that
integrates seamlessly into EC (I''m also told that the Extol EDI package
does the same).

The EC package performs MOST of the functions formerly done within EDI/400
and in-house maintained programs and user-files.  We still process a few
documents outside of MAPICS for our Sales Dept and not *ALL documents are
fully supported, especially at 4010.

EC has it's own copy of the Trading Partner Definitions that links into COM
for Customer Master info and transaction detail.  Ship-to cross references
are best maintained here.  Upon completion of the Trading Partner and their
specific document templates, EC is responsible for creating all required
user-file definitions for EDI/400 document processing.  The formats for the
element-level document detail are maintained by EDI/400 with additional
support for element constants/internal tables for document-specific data.

So-far our version upgrades from 30xx/4010 have gone very well.  The nuances
for the envelope mapping took a few tries to get the first one right, but
our learning curve wasn't too steep.

Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss details.
regards,
Tom Ashworth
MIS Manager, Altec Lansing Technologies Inc.
Routes 6 & 209
Milford,  PA  18337
tashwort@altecmm.com            570-296-1276

+---