  • Subject: RE: Browser
  • From: "Ashworth, Thomas R." <TAshwort@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:18:00 -0500

What version of MAPICS was being used?  I've received some promo material on
the Ironside product 'COMnet' that certainly looks interesting, but have not
yet seen a live demo.

I would certainly try to see a 'real-world' application before committing to
anything.  My experience is with XA4 is still presenting a challenge.  We
upgraded our Advanced Sytem CISC Model300 (2041 w/ 48Mb Main Memory & 8Gb
DASD) to a RISC Model600 (2134 w/ 160Mb Main Memory & 21Gb of RAID-5 DASD).
Within 8 months of the hardware upgrade, we upgraded to MAPICS from DB4 to
XA4 and added COM and EC to replace in-house programs.  The impact on system
performance (both interactive response and batch throughput) has been VERY
noticable...  the volume of opened files has increased dramaticly for
interactive work, and 'normal' order-release for picking, EC processing and
Invoice processing has led to a huge increase in transaction batch-jobs.
Both of these factors have contributed to our need to examine options for
additional hardware upgrade (increased main memory and/or processor).

The total number of transaction users at any given time during prime shift
is 18-24.  Our primary modules are COM/EC, IM and PUR;  we have not looked
into any of the Financials.

Hope this helps.

Tom Ashworth
MIS Manager, Altec Lansing Technologies Inc.
Routes 6 & 209
Milford,  PA  18337
tashwort@altecmm.com            570-296-1276

+---