        From:   Ashworth, Thomas R. [SMTP:TAshwort@altecmm.com]
        Sent:   Thursday, March 25, 1999 11:38 AM
        To:     'MAPICS-L@midrange.com'
        Subject:        RE: XAR4

        Our installation was much more aggressive... we upgraded directly to
XA4
        from DB4 (pre-y2k) back in September of 1998.  At the time, a new
migration
        tape to allow this without an intermediate step to XA3 had just bee
        released.  Here is a excerpt of my installation notes and a brief
        description of the problems that I ran into.

                        MAPICS Error Message - E AM 0228 was displayed after
        approximately 23 hours of run-time to notify that QSECOFR did not
have
        sufficient authority to automatically apply the tailoring
questionnaire as
        the final step of the upgrade.  In addition, when attempting to
sign-on as
        AMAPICS to grant proper authority, a system error - CPF2479 was
displayed,
        tracing back to a level-check on file QGPL/AMZDAA.  At this time, I
applied
        the License Key Authorization using the WRKLICINF command, hoping
that this
        would eliminate this problem.  The command completed without further
error,
        but did not resolve the level-check when attempting to process the
        environment selection screen displayed while initializing MAPICS.
After
        contacting MAPICS Support, the file was deleted from QGPL and a
duplicate
        was re-created from AMALIBX.  This allowed AMAPICS to sign-on and
grant
        authority to QSECOFR, which in turn completed the install/tailor
segment.

        regards,
        Tom Ashworth
        MIS Manager, Altec Lansing Technologies Inc.
        Routes 6 & 209
        Milford,  PA  18337
        tashwort@altecmm.com            570-296-1276

MAPICS-L@midrange.com.