On 11/04/2009 02:27 PM, Aaron Bartell wrote:
What is your *nix story? (FYI, Using an asterisk in place
of the L in Linux
is a way to reference both Unix and Linux which are very
similar in nature
as I understand it. I also understand that Mac OSX is more
based on Unix
than Linux. )

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.co

I converted from Windows to Linux at home about 6 years ago (was running Win2K). Why? I got tired of shelling out $$$$ to M$ for new releases of Windows and software that I didn't need, but had to have in order to get maintenance (bug fixes). And I then learned that I had all this other fantastic software available __gratis__. It was wonderful.

Last year, I jokingly asked for a Linux desktop at work. I didn't really think that I would get it. But I did list a number of reasons why I would then be able to do more work (such as keeping data in a PostgreSQL database instead of needing to have access to an MS SQL Server). Strangely, my boss' boss agreed and I got a blank PC and the option to install any Linux distro that I wanted (I went with Fedora). Unfortunately, due to MS Exchange and "policy", I cannot get off of my Windows desktop. So I have two PCs and a KVM switch. I stay on the Linux PC and use rdesktop to access my Windows PC. This works well for me.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell
john.mckown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * www.HealthMarkets.com

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM