On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 20:27, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is your *nix story?

I'm not running Linux on my desktop anymore. But i did, for three
years (2001-2005). During that time, i stabilized running everything
on Debian, while experimenting with lots of distributions during my
early years. I've gained much knowledge in packaging systems and
deployment solutions during this time, which has helped me immensely
with my first Linux job.

I've worked part time as a Linux system administrator for a small web
hosting company (2003-2007). It was interesting time, and one of my
largest projects was to develop a migration path from a mostly-broken
qmail system to a MySQL backed postfix mailing backend. The company
was later sold, a got a small bag of money and concentrated on my
current job.

Currently, i work a Windows/IBM i system administrator (started in
2005). I'm still trying to keep current with other operating systems.
My private infrastructure still runs on Linux, and i plan to keep it
that way.

All of my nearest family has Macs, so i have knowledge on how to
support them. I think it's a great system, but Apple does not seem to
care about corporate customers, lacking any plan or features in that
area.

We get a lot of Windows SBS customers that are migrating from cheap,
Linux based infrastructures that never delivered what they were
promised, so i mostly use my Linux knowledge to migrate away from it.